Three projects

I decided a diary of my experience and influences when creating work could be a useful way of charting my journey.
At the moment I am working on three projects simultaneously and about to start a fourth. It is an exhausting yet exhilarating experience as it lets my imagination run riot.
My favourite project is one that is based upon Helen of Troy: 'A Thing of Beauty'. This project encapsulates all of my interests in one piece of work: text, visuals, film, collage, soundscape.
I was invited onto this project by a very talented director/writer who shares a similar process to work. Communication between us has been very fluid and free. It helps that he has a strong visual sensibility and thinks in a unique way. Hopefully this is a relationship that will develop further as creating work with him is the closest I have had to an equal partnership.
In addition I am undertaking a training course in journalism (multi-media) at the BBC. Perhaps this seems an unusual undertaking for a designer to pursue, but I had originally wanted to study English and had considered journalism as a career option. I was also involved in the Royal Court Young Writers Group whilst studying design. This led my work in a whole new direction of 'writing through design', that challenges people's perceptions of a designer. I now want to bring text back into my work and undertake more writing, so the BBC course has been extremely helpful in re-igniting this initial love affair, especially for structuring and editing text.
My third project is for The Whoopee Club who have been very generous in allowing me full creative expression. I am unusual in being an outsider to this project and it can feel like I have been granted entry to a members-only club. This is sometimes difficult, especially as I am establishing relationships with people who already know and work regularly with each other. All that I can do is be honest and true, both to myself and those around me.
The fourth project is due to start in a fortnight and involves some initial filming of paper costumes and props for a festival in Italy this Novemeber. It follows on from a piece of work shown at Shunt in April with digital artists SDNA and a group of colaborators involved in sound and movement/performance. I had created origami paper costumes, which worked very well in conjuction with SDNA's insect projections and live performance. SDNA and myself share similar design influences and give each other room to express our creativity within a collective situation. Consequently, I feel that I produce my best work when working with them.

Comments