The street as theatre

I've had two designs accepted for the Brixton scheme and have two more to finalise. It's interesting to see how detailed the final printed image will be when applied to the shutters.
These two images show my design for a print shop (created from a collage of vintage wooden letterpress) and the final mock-up of a shutter showing a design for an 'international' hairdresser's.
In undertaking this brief I've wanted to create graphical imagery that will transform the street into a form of street theatre, using the shutters as set design. I also like to create images that are timeless. This commision has been a challenge as I am having to tread a line between art and commerce: the designs are not allowed to be seen as an advertisement for the shop, but must reflect the character of the shop. The council and the shop owners select the final image to be printed. But at the same time, there has to be an artistic quality to the images I produce.
I'm looking forward to taking some photographs when the entire series is completed and hope to include people within these to give a sense of scale, context and character.

Comments