Making as Thinking


I've been attending a lot of talks given by different creative practitioners over the past month. I like to hear about how other people work and connect with people, especially since my practice crosses over between different disciplines.
At the moment I'm in a 'making' mood.
A part of me feels that this is a bit self-indulgent and old fashioned. I'm not making objects specifically to sell. On the rare occurence that I make objects with the thought of creating a salaeble product, such as my origami necklaces made from book pages, I start thinking about exagerating the form, enlarging the scale and pushing the necklaces to an extreme so that they become closer to sculptures.
I don't know many people who do make their own work, apart from crafts people, but I don't consider myself a crafts person, although I do craft objects.
In a talk last week, the ceramisist Helen Carnac expressed how she thinks of herself as a maker not a craft person.
For her making is thinking.
I can identify with that.

Comments