Goodbye Brixton space







I spent new year moving out of Brixton market where I had a temporary space. It was interesting to hear and see how people were responding to the work I was making, but the noise levels within the market (and the extreme cold) were making it counterproductive for making work. Hopefully I will get another space in Lambeth where I can develop new projects.
I had to deliver a pitch 'Venus in transit' last week for a museumaker commission. This is a project I had been working on in collaboration with a director/writer and sound artist/composer/filmaker. There were nine people on the panel which, was daunting, but being a team of three made the experience easier. It also made me realise how useful the BBC training has been in writing proposal applications and making pitches; the majority of my training at the BBC was centred around this.
At the moment I am waiting to find out whether we were successful. I'm trying to be philosophical about the possible outcome. I think we were pitching an unusual idea that had many strands to it that people would either love or hate. It's also a question of whether people thought we were being too ambitious in our ideas, although everything we suggested was fully realiseable.
It's a difficult thing waiting. I keep reading books or watching films that seem to somehow relate to our pitch. I've been reading about Angela Carter's collective work and came across a Czech film from 1970 called 'Valerie and her week of wonders'. The imagery in this film reminded me of our pitch.

Comments